Morning, Friends! Today I am keeping it short and sweet (literally!) with a simple and easy recipe for Gluten Free Sticky Buns! Scroll down for all the details!
Ingredients for dough:
- 1 packet quick rise yeast – I use “pizza” yeast because it is extremely quick to rise
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 3/4 cups of GF flour mix from Bob’s Red Mill + 3/4 cup of GF Oat Flour (mix these two flours together prior to starting)
- 3-5 tablespoons of Gluten free flour of your choice for kneading and rolling purposes – I use a range here because the moisture of your dough is dependent on a number of variables including the humidity of your house and environment, so you may need less or more!
- 1/3 cup butter or canola oil or vegan butter (I use regular butter because I am not vegan, but any work)
- 1/2 unsweetened nut milk of choice – I use almond milk, but I have also made this with homemade cashew milk!
- 1/4 cup date sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients for filling:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or date sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cinnamon (depending on how strongly you want them to taste of cinnamon – I go straight for 2!)
- 1/4 cup butter or canola oil or vegan butter (I use regular butter because I am not vegan, but any work)
Ingredients for Sticky BUNZ sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter or canola oil or vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar of choice – I used brown sugar!
- Spray a circular casserole dish with cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a bowl, mix yeast and granulated sugar. Add warm water. Mix well and allow to sit for 10 minutes or until slightly frothy.
- Next, in a medium saucepan, melt 1/3 cup of butter on your lowest heat setting. Once melted, remove from heat and mix in milk, sugar and salt. Stir in yeast mixture until combined.
- In a large bowl, add 2 cups of your flour mixture. Pour yeast mixture over flour and combine.
- Add in remaining flour and continue to combine. You may need to add oil to your hands and mix it until it fully combines. It should be a sticky dough. Once well combined, turn out on a floured counter-top.
- Knead dough until it is no longer sticky, and more elastic – for about 4-5 minutes. Add flour to the countertop if it is still becoming a sticky dough.
- Once kneaded – make the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover with saran and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Next, make the sticky bun filling. Simply combine the sugar and cinnamon. Melt butter in a saucepan. I pour the butter into a small dish to make it easier to spread on the dough when the time comes.
- NOW IT’S TIME OT MAKE THE STICKY BUN SAUCE! In the same saucepan, you just used, add the 1/4 cup of butter, allow it to melt. Then add your sugar and combine well. Pour into the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Next, roll out your dough on a floured surface. Depending on how thick or thin you want your Sticky Buns to be you can roll it out more or less. I also don’t mind a rough edge on my dough because it just makes the buns look more rustic 😉
- Once rolled out, use a pastry brush to cover in melted butter. Evenly spread out cinnamon sugar mixture over the buttered dough.
- Once covered, roll the dough up on the longer side (makes more, smaller buns), and cut into evenly sized buns using a knife.
- Place in the casserole dish so that the sides of buns touch one another.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown!
Thanks, Bob’s Red Mill for the amazing Gluten Free Flours!
With Love, Meg