Hi, friends! With the Rio 2016 Olympics upon us, I thought I would share my list of the top ten things YOU MUST DO when visiting Rio!
1. Visit Sugar Loaf Mountain! You can do this by hiking or gondola! Make sure if you are a student, to show your card because the discount is incredible! Head up at sunset (go early because the lines are crazy)! You get a spectacular view of the mountain range and Corcovado with the sun setting in the background!
2. Visit Corcovado – I mean, if you go to Rio and don’t visit Christ the Redemer… did you really go? Head to the park next to Copacabana Palace to buy a ticket to take a shuttle up to the top – cheaper & SO MUCH FASTER than taking the train! Best & busiest at sunrise and sunset.
3. Hike Mount Tijuca – seriously phenomenal! We did it with a private tour guide who spoke English and we learned SO MUCH!
4. Go to the local markets and try foods you aren’t familiar with – this is seriously my favorite thing to do when traveling. Brazil is home to so many unique fruits & veggies! I was in heaven!
5.Stop by Cafe Colombo for an afternoon pick me up! AKA. potentially an ox tongue croquette. Make sure you read the English menu!!! This place is stunning!
6. Walk down Copacabana and duck into one of the many open-air beach cafes for a larger than life beer, or a caipirinha!
7. Stop by Amazonia Soul in Ipanema for an Acai Bowl! I recommend this place because they don’t add as much sugar into their Acai 🙂
8. Spend the day on Leblon Beach! (The cleanest and least busy beach on the Ipanema/Leblon/Copacabana coast). On your way home, sit on Ipanema and watch the sun set behind the beautiful mountains – they way the city starts to light up is incredible.
9. Try Feijoada (traditional Brazilian Stew) – so yummy! Make sure to ask for a recommendation for the TRADITIONAL kind! No regrets!
10. Take a break from the beach and head to the gardens, get lost and find yourself under the peaceful palms! Stop by Cafe Bicyclette for a refreshing drink afterwards.
11. BONUS! Eat Brazilian BBQ! They take this VERY seriously!! 🙂
Are you heading to Rio this summer?! What is on your to-do list?!
With Love, Meg